Tuesday, September 22, 2009

First Time for Everything

I used to have a LiveJournal, but since it seems the cool kids are all migrating to actual blogs, I thought I'd try it. First, I guess I should introduce myself. My name is Jamie Smith, and I live, predictably, in St. Louis. I'm a 30-year-old grad student weeks away from my Masters degree in English, and hopefully going on to my PhD, specializing in Medieval Studies - I love Medieval history and literature, though I also have a fondness for Greek and Roman history and myth.

One of my real passions, though, is gaming, whether it be tabletop RPGs, various kinds of video game, or even just chat-based gaming. I used to game quite a bit in undergrad, and before that, but ever since moving to St. Louis, I have had very poor luck getting into or running any games.

This isn't necessarily because of the people here, though; shortly after I moved here, I was diagnosed with major clinical depression, and that plus a naturally shy personality makes for a difficult time getting to know people. Thankfully, the internet has provided me with many opportunities, though I probably haven't made use of all of them.

Currently, I play both World of Warcraft and Champions Online, as MMOs go. I reserve a place in my collection for games like Planescape: Torment, Half-Life (1 and 2), And the Diablo series. I have a fairly vast collection of tabletop RPGs, though my current favorites are Dungeons & Dragons 4th Edition, the New World of Darkness games, Mutants & Masterminds, and Greg Stolze's Reign. I have been gaming since early in the AD&D 2nd Edition release cycle, and I have spent most of that time DMing and GMing, so that is likely the way I see game most often; I'd like to play more often, but it is easier to promise to DM than to offer to be a player.

Well, that's the introduction. Since it is burning a hole in my creative centers, I think next I'll probably end up talking about the new D&D 4E Dungeon Master's Guide 2. Hint: I love it.

No comments:

Post a Comment