Saturday, June 12, 2010

Away Team

As you may have noticed, I haven't updated in a couple weeks; this is due to being out of town, in part, but also due to a need to spend most, if not all of my time at home in an area of the house where there is no computer, which makes it difficult to update. I've got a momentary reprieve from that now, but that stops tomorrow, and continues until the 24th or so of this month. Never fear, though, I have had a few interesting gaming ideas since then.

After playing through Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II while out of town, currently playing through Star Wars: The Force Unleashed, and reading Star Wars and Philosophy, I've had an interest in playing in a Star Wars game renewed. This is also in part because I am looking forward to the new Bioware Star Wars MMO next year, entitled The Old Republic. I think I'd like to play either a bounty hunter sort or a Jedi; the whole self-dependent bounty hunter thing appeals to me, but so do the challenges of having to play a Jedi who is trying to actively stay true to the tenets of the Jedi - no attacking others, fighting only in self-defense; as Yoda said, the Force is to be used for knowledge and self-defense only, never for attack. Also, the whole philosophy break between the Jedi and Sith is fascinating, and KotoR II came at it in an interesting way. I think it would be interesting to play in a Star Wars RPG that actually tried to play that way; it's a good idea, especially since it seems to be the reason for the high power level of Jedi in most Star Wars games, but I don't know how it would work in actual play. Plus, again, the obvious difficulty of finding anyone, online or off, to play with.

They other game I've been meddling with is a high-powered 4th Edition D&D game, where essentially the characters start in the epic tier, and are personal representatives from a god, or group of gods, who go around collecting on divine loans, bets, and other transactions that are slow to work themselves out. Since the gods dislike fighting each other personally - they know that even the evil gods are still needed to hold back another possibly Primordial War - they use people like these to settle things between them. This is explored in more detail in the RPG.net thread here, entitled Legbreakers of the Gods.

Anyway, that's what is bouncing around in my head at the moment; more to come when I get a reprieve again.

No comments:

Post a Comment