Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Changeling: The Lost

Imagine you ran into a creature, the most beautiful, wondrous creature you had ever seen. Imagine it invited you to its home, to see the sights that it has created and to experience its world. Imagine going there, only to become the lowest of the low, servant to your new master, forced to do anything and everything it thinks of, and never being allowed to do, or go completely mad. Now imagine you were given the chance to escape, to return to your world again, changed by your experiences; are you still who you were when you left? Now imagine that the world had continued on without you; your former master had left a simulacrum in your place, and it continued your life - and better than you ever did. Imagine you are this changed being, without a home or family, constantly living in fear that your former master will come back to this world and find you and bring you back. your only solace is in the companionship of others who have felt the same servitude, from different fae masters. What do you do with your life?

This, in a nutshell, is the premise of Changeling: The Lost. You play a person returned from the world of the true fae, changed by your experiences and perhaps not entirely sane. It, too, uses the Wolrd of Darkness as a setting, and so the same system. I think I'll make an architect, so I'll put Mental first, Physical second, and Social third. I'll take Intelligence 3, Wits 3, and Resolve 2, then Strength 2, Dexterity 3, and Stamina 2, and then Composure 2, Manipulation 2, and Presence 2. Then I get Skills at 11/7/4, so I'll go with Academics 2, Computer 2, Crafts 3, Politics 2, and Science 2. Then for Physical, I'll take Athletics 2, Drive 2, Firearms 1, Stealth 1, and Survival 1. Finally, for Social, Persuasion 1, Socialize 1, Streetwise 1, and Subterfuge 1. Then I take Skill Specialties; I'll take Academics (Architecture), Craft (Buildings), and Computer (Drafting). Then I add the changeling template; I choose a seeming (the type of changeling I become) and a Court (the group of changelings I join). I will be an Artist of the Wizened seeming; I get to use a special rule now when I use Crafts, and can spend Glamour for rerolls. I am also nimble and dexterous, but sadly ugly; my Presence rolls will suffer, as will untrained social skills. I will also join the Winter Court. Now I have 5 points of contracts, the changeling powers, to distribute; I'll take 3 dots in the Contracts of Artifice, which lets me repair most things, disable many devices, and make already-created items more efficient and easier to use. I will take the final two dots in the Eternal Winter contract, letting me cool a room considerably and also freeze liquids with a touch of my fingers. then I determine my Wyrd, the connection I have to the fae world; I start with 1, but can add 1 point per three Merit point spent. I'll take 2 more dots, leaving me with 1 point left; I'll use that to give myself a New Identity. then I determine derived stats. Defense is 3, Health is 7, Size is 5, Initiative is 5, Clarity (Changeling Morality) is 7, Speed is 10, Willpower is 4, my Virtue will be Temperance and my Vice will be Envy. So the final character is this:

Joseph MacAllen
Concept: Bored Architect
Seeming: Wizened (Artist)
Court: Winter
Virtue: Temperance
Vice: Envy
Attributes
Intelligence 3
Wits 3
Resolve 2
Strength 2
Dexterity 3
Stamina 2
Presence 2
Manipulation 2
Composure 2

Skills
Academics 2 (Specialty: Architecture)
Computers 2 (Specialty: Drafting)
Craft 3 (Specialty: Buildings)
Politics 2
Science 2
Athletics 2
Drive 2
Firearms 1
Stealth 1
Survival 1
Persuasion 1
Socialize 1
Streetwise 1
Subterfuge 1

Merits
New Identity (1 point)

Contracts
Artifice 3
Eternal Winter 2

Wyrd 3
Defense 3
Size 5
Speed 10
Initiative 5
Health 7
Willpower 4
Clarity 7

No comments:

Post a Comment