Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Geist: The Sin-Eaters

Imagine you died. Doesn't matter much what from; could be violence, could be disease, could be just plain bad luck. Imagine after you died, your soul was approached by a...sort of spirit. It offered you the ability to return from the grave, but in return, you have to help the spirit. The spirit was a ghost, once, but has lingered for so long that it has lost its identity; all that remains is a driving purpose, a need to see something done. It may be a single task, or it may be the work of a lifetime, but it will give you life to help it. So you take the deal, and find yourself different; you have access to strange powers. You can speak to the dead, see ghosts, and, if the time and place are right, you can cross into the Underworld. You have a new lease of life, and the ability to police the line between life and death, and a task. What do you do?

That is essentially the premise of Geist, and it is the last of the new World of Darkness games. As such, it shares a system and a setting with the others. For this, the last WoD game, I'll make up a former card shark, who leaves how he treats the line between life and death to Lady Luck. I'll put Social first, then Mental, and finally Physical. So, Presence 3, Manipulation 3, and Composure 2, then Intelligence 2, Wits 3, and Resolve 2, and finally Strength 2, Dexterity 2, and Stamina 2. For Skills, I'll want Empathy 3, Persuasion 3, Socialize 3, and Subterfuge 2, then Computers 2, Investigation 2, Medicine 1, and Science 2, and finally Brawl 1, Drive 1, and Larceny 2. For Specialties, I'll want Larceny (Pickpocketing), Empathy (Lies), and Persuasion (Fast-Talking). Then I add Geist characteristics; archetype (how I see my new occupation), threshold (how I died), Psyche (how powerful I am), manifestations (my Geist powers), and keys (the flavor of my powers). For archetype, I'll choose Bonepicker, someone who uses his powers to make the world more comfortable, and for threshold, I'll pick Forgotten; I died by chance, like I lived. My keys will be Industrial, which affects the trappings of modern society, and Passion, which lets me influence the emotions of others. I'll put two of my 3 manifestation points in the Passion Boneyard; I can judge the emotional nature of others, and compel others to feel certain emotions, and the last point in Industrial Curse so I can reduce the benefit of any technology my enemies may use. I'll spend 6 of my Merit points to get to Psyche 3, and put the last point in Resources to reflect people I've fleeced. Derived characteristics are Defense 2, Size 5, Initiative 4, Speed 9, Health 7, Willpower 4, Synergy (Geist Morality) is 7, Virtue is Justice, and Vice is Envy. He tries to fleece those who deserve to be taken down a peg or two, but also just wants to live a comfortable life. So, the final character looks like this:

Joey Evans
Concept: Slick card-shark
Archetype: Bonepicker
Threshold: The Forgotten
Virtue: Justice
Vice: Envy
Attributes
Intelligence: 2
Wits: 3
Resolve: 2
Strength: 2
Dexterity: 2
Stamina: 2
Presence: 3
Manipulation: 3
Composure: 2

Skills
Computers 2
Investigation 2
Medicine 1
Science 2
Brawl 1
Drive 1
Larceny 2 (Specialty: Pickpocketing)
Empathy 3 (Specialty: Lies)
Persuasion 3 (Specialty: Fast-Taling)
Socialize 3
Subterfuge 2

Merits
Resources 1

Keys
Industrial
Passion

Manifestations
Passion Boneyard 2
Industrial Curse 1

Defense 2
Size 5
Initiative 4
Speed 9
Health 7
Synergy 7
Willpower 4
Psyche 3

1 comment:

  1. I typed in Ferrigno Obrimos to google and you are a googlewhack

    ReplyDelete