Monday, May 24, 2010

Hunter: The Vigil

There are terrible things out there in the dark. You know; you've seen them. One of them, or many of them, have done something to you, or to your family, or your friends; something bad enough that you have taken up a cause that may get you killed. When your day job is done, and everyone else has gone home to have dinner and be with their family, you hunt the creatures that dwell in the darkness. You are the light of humanity, fighting back against the darkness; you know, though, that all too often, those who take up your chosen task are extinguished - or, worse, become that which you despise. Can you hold the line against the night? Can you fight back without becoming too close to that which you hunt?

this is the premise of hunter; essentially, you play a normal person int he World of Darkness hunting the creatures of the night, whether they are vampires, werewolves, the walking dead, or witches. As such, it uses the same system, and is almost identical to the base World of Darkness character, with a few differences. For this character, I think I'll make a kind of modern crusader, a soldier who fights the darkness with his faith - and a gun or two. I'll put Physical first, then Mental, and finally Social. So let's have Strength 2, Dexterity 3, and Stamina 3, followed by Intelligence 2, Wits 3, and Resolve 2, and finally Presence 2, Manipulation 1, and Composure 3. For Skills, I'll go with Brawl 2, Firearms 3, Survival 2, Athletics 3, and Drive 1; then Computer 1, Investigation 2, Medicine 2, and Science 2, with Intimidation 2 and Streetwise 2 for last. For Specialties, I'll take Medicine (Field Medicine), Firearms (Assault Rifles), and Intimidation (Stare-Downs). As a hunter, I choose first a Profession (which will be Soldier), and a Tier (I'll go with 3), so I am also a member of a Conspiracy (mine will be the Malleus Maleficarum, the Hammer of Witches - a Catholic organization that hunts monsters). My Profession gives me another specialty, in either Firearms or Survival - I'll take one in Survival (Foraging). I now have 7 points of Merits; I'll spend three in Professional Training (Soldier). which gives me easier access to further specialties in play. I'll spend 3 points in Benedictions, which gives me access to the Malleus Maleficarum's special ability - the use of ancient Catholic rites to fight evil, such as the Armor of St. Martin, which gives the user temporary divine armor. My last point will be spent on Status in the Malleus - this gives me the access to the Benedictions, otherwise I'm not a trusted enough member to be able to use them. Finally, we have derived statistics; Defense is 3, Size is 5, Initiative is 6, Health is 7, Speed is 10, Morality is 7, Willpower is 5, his virtue is Faith, and his Vice is Pride. So, the final version looks like this:

Andrew Benedict
Concept: Crusading Soldier
Profession: Soldier
Conspiracy: Malleus Maleficarum
Virtue: Faith
Vice: Pride
Attributes
Intellgence: 2
Wits: 3
Resolve: 2
Strength: 2
Dexterity: 3
Stamina: 3
Presence: 2
Manipulation: 1
Composure: 3

Skills
Computers 1
Investigation 2
Medicine 2 (Specialty: Field Medicine)
Science 2
Athletics 3
Brawl 2
Drive 1
Firearms 3 (Specialty: Assault Rifles)
Survival 2 (Specialty: Foraging)
Intimidation 2 (Specialty: Stare-Downs)
Streetwise 2

Merits
Professional Training 3
Benedictions 3
Status 1

Defense 3
Size 5
Initiative 6
Speed 10
Health 7
Morality 7
Willpower 5

No comments:

Post a Comment